5 Ways to Brighten Up Your NYC Apartment
Your living space can have a major impact on your mood. Different layouts and designs can elicit positive or negative emotions, so making the right choices is crucial. Here are some tips on how to brighten up your NYC apartment to make it more welcoming and improve your quality of life:
1. Deep clean: Doing a deep clean can give your home a more refreshing and renewed feel. According to designer Justina Blakeney, removing things such as furniture items that aren’t your style anymore or old photos and items that bring back bad memories can change the energy of your living space entirely.
2. Create more space: Even if you have limited space, there are ways to create more room and make your home feel larger. Having oddly placed furniture and items blocking entries and passageways can make you feel trapped in, so clearing all hallways and walking areas can make your rooms more spacious, open, and aesthetically pleasing. Blakeney suggests making sure that all doors can swing freely, and you should create specific zones that reflect your daily routine. Additionally, spacing out your furniture more and even removing some unnecessary items can lift the mood of the room.
3. Let in natural light: Adding windows to rooms will make your home feel more spacious and inviting. If it is not possible to add a window, consider installing fake LED windows using LED grow lights and cloth. Another way you can let in more light is by placing more mirrors on the walls to brighten up your rooms, as reflective surfaces help to create more light. Finally, using lightweight shades instead of heavy drapes can work wonders in your bedroom or living room.
4. Paint with bold patterns and bright colors: Vibrant colors and patterns can give the room more positive energy and lift your mood. Blakeney tells The New York Times that using bright colors, or colors that you associate with good feelings, can create “an emotionally supportive environment.” Some colors that help brighten the room and create a happy and welcoming mood include pink, light red, apricot, green, lavender, and bright yellow.
5. Add greenery: Creating an indoor garden or even just placing plants around your home can bring life and a cheerful mood to the rooms. Plants and greenery in your home can purify the air and have been frequently linked to stress relief. Some decorative plants that are easy to take care of include succulents, aloe plants, philodendrons, peace lilies, and bamboo palms. If you want to create an indoor garden but live in a city apartment or have more limited space, you can find some tips here.